Benefits of Exercise
BENEFITS OF EXERCISE
- Improves overall quality of life
- Improves heart and muscle function
- Improves bone density
- Improves joint mobility
- Assists in weight control
- Prevents / Minimizes effects of a fall
- Speeds recovery time during and after an exacerbation
- Helps bowel and bladder control
- More than the ‘physical’
KEY ELEMENTS TO REMEMBER DURING EXERCISE:
- Use correct body position for each exercise.
- Breathe! – exhale as move weights (push or pull).
- Focus on specific muscle group being trained (chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, etc.)
- Focus on full range of motion of exercise movement (with or without weights).
- Terminology: Circuit – multiple exercises for different muscle groups during one workout
- Terminology: Strength and Power – multiple exercises working the same muscle group during one workout
- Have fun but work hard!